Character Devolopment.

As the rehearsals progress I have started to make a personal connection with my character. Miller states that ‘if the specifics are not stated or implied in the dialogue, as actors you are free to make any choices you wish regarding the given circumstances’ (Miller, 2010: p. 48). Our script is a devised script and with no playwright to propose a backstory for my character, I have taken the liberty to devise one myself. I have kept in mind what my character has said about himself through dialogue in the script so my biography does not contradict what has already been written. Miller writes that ‘whatever you select, however, the choices must be justified by the script, or not to contradict the script in any way’ (ibid). Through reflection on who I think my character is and how I think I should play my character I have written a short character biography. The biography is as follows:

My Mother died during childbirth so as I was growing up in a small village near the castle it was just my Father and I living together. My Mother was ill while she was carrying me and I was blind from birth. I never thought I was unfortunate, because I did not know any better I accepted my condition. My Father and I are close, he had small job playing the piano at an Inn near the village and every night I would go listen to him play. He taught me everything about the instrument from tuning to playing and I instantly fell in love with music. As the years went by taxes went up and eventually I had to find a job to help keep the house. After a few months searching for jobs, I heard about a position in the castle for piano tuner. The job was paying well but the downside to the job description was it would be for a year and that the piano tuner would have to stay on the premises. My Father did not want me to leave he kept saying “we will be ok” and “I’ll find the money somehow”. We needed the money desperately and so to save our family house I took up position despite my Father’s pleas. I promised him I would visit as much as possible and although I could sense he was upset and reluctant he allowed me to leave.

These are my character’s given circumstances that I have gave my self. Miller writes that ‘given circumstances should be chosen because they make the story as exciting as possible’ (ibid).  The reason I have taken the time to write a character biography is to make my character more three-dimensional thus making my character more enjoyable to play and watch.

Works cited

Miller, Bruce. (2010) The Scene Study Book: Roadmap To Success. USA, Limelight Editions.