My inspiration.

It is blatant when reading the final script that it is based on Angela Carter and her work. When reading The Bloody Chamber it is obvious that Angela Carter wanted to portray a feminist twist within her stories with a sexual fairy tale element. Her stories were just like fairy tales for adults when I read them and I was trying to figure out what each story was based on when comparing them to original fairy tales. Angela Carter inspired me through the images she created in her work as when I read her stories I had a clear image in my head of what everything looked like and what the characters facial expressions and their general character was. When reading The Bloody Chamber I got a very strong image of a castle that was almost timeless and in a very secluded place in the woods. It almost reminded me of the castle in Disney- Beauty and the Beast. Imagining this setting helped me to concentrate on what the characters would be like as the Count who lives there would be a well spoken man who holds a lot of power and I think the Countess would also be the same way as I imagined that he would pick a woman who was well brought up but not necessarily rich so he would be able to influence her with his wealth. I also imagined a small village outside the large woods this castle was in where there would be a small villages which are full of peasants. This fitted in with the Snow Child story as she appeared in the woods and I imagine she has walked from one of the far villages to try and find dry wood for a fire but it is quite impossible because of the snow. Due to the imagery throughout Angela Carters writing being so strong I feel this is what influenced me more than her actual style or writing as having such a strong image to follow in your head I was able to piece together how and why the characters acted as they did in this setting.

Hannah Smith.