Conclusion.

This module has been, by far, the most difficult I have ever had to undertake in my three years of University. We kept with our original idea from the start and began to devise a script from scratch. Doing this left us behind compared to the other theatre company groups who bought the rights for a well known play. On reflection, I am glad we devised our own play despite the added stress we all succumb to. The final script the scriptwriters produced, I believe, was of a high standard and I am proud to be apart of the process.

The character I played was arduous to perform with believability, and from the feedback I received from my peers after the performance I believe I succeeded in performing my character to a satisfying standard. Learning to play the piano while performing blind was also problematic due to the fact that I have no prier experience playing the musical instrument. I was unable to learn an impressive tune to play in such a short space of time, but tried to perfect a simple melody I could play on stage that was enjoyable to listen to. If I had more time, I would of liked to of learnt a more intricate tune to play on the performance day.

Learning sound and light design was an interesting experience. Instead of listening to a piece of music and thinking “this sounds nice”, I had to listen and decide what fitted into the performance to enhance the stage image Stephanie Doe wanted to create. Our directed knew what she wanted when it came to music and it was my job to present her with samples of music that fitted with her vision. In some cases she knew exactly what song she wanted to be played, for example, she knew she wanted the song Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) by Emily Browning and it was my job to edit the song to fit into the performance. When I came to lighting design I had a lot more freedom into what the final product looked like and I was able to creatively experiment.

This module has taught me a lot when it comes to what a theatre company must do when it comes to the internal and external administrative outputs, and the different ways a theatre company can achieve this. This module may be one of the most difficult I have had to do, but also one of the most rewarding. As a theatre company we spent countless of hours rehearsing, and the same amount of hours on our documentation in order to create industry standard technical documents. I understand how marketing works and how a marketing team collates data, and how by using that data they create leaflets and advertisements that will appeal to a target audience. I understand lighting design more thoroughly, being Progeny Theatre’s lighting designer I understand how lights can create moods within the performance, and how they can be used to enhance a performance.